Thursday, August 19, 2010

Which social networks do you belong to, and which do you use the most?

If you feel like it, please also specify what you like about your favourite ones.

Which social networks do you belong to, and which do you use the most?
I use three different social networks:





1) www.Facebook.com - I use this one a few times a week. I would use it more, but it seems all of the people I know on here aren't very good about responding to me after one or two messages. I can't imagine that most of them are that busy. :) One reason that I do enjoy it is that it has a very "clean" interface that does not get as cluttered as MySpace. However, people seem to add a ton of "applications" to their profile which really can mess with the profiles a bit. My understanding is that they are working to fix this. Another reason I enjoy using it are the groups. A group can be any group of people that want to communicate on a specific topic. As long as you can find a serious group that wants to communicate about a topic, it can be very useful for this.





2) www.MyGameMug.com - I use this one almost every day (it's also very new and in beta). This site is built specifically for gamers. It is the only site that I have found that actually links you to players of other games. You create a profile, add specific games that you play to your profile, then can actually see who else plays that game. Users can post their XBox Live ID, Wii Friend Code, Stream ID, etc. so you can get in touch with them If you're looking to just play a game, create a group/guild/clan/team, etc. with other gamers, this has the ability to do that. Each group has a forum (public for non-members and private for members-only), the ability to send an alert to all members of the group and other management tools. It also has a section devoted to game reviews that are all user-submitted and then rated by other users.





3) www.LinkedIn.com - This one I just started using in the last week or two. To me, I've had a bit of success finding people I have previously worked with and communicating with them once again. It also has a clean interface as well. From my brief experience with it, this will take a bit longer to setup than other networks (in my opinion) since you want to fill in your proper info, spend the time to search for and re-communicate with old co-workers. Plus, you can search networks for jobs that they may not have posted on the Internet, but just posted on LinkedIn. Basically this site just take the "it's who you know" type of aspect in real life to to the Internet. And as many of us probably know, we get jobs through who we know, not what we know. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment